top of page
Residential Buildings with Solar Panels

1031 Exchange
(Like-Kind Exchange)

Buying and selling real estate property is a wise investment, so long as you can keep your money and put it to work for you. 1031 exchanges are a strategic choice for deferring taxes and maximizing real estate investments. 
Our streamlined process, guidance from experienced professionals, and security measures to protect your financial interests will help you avoid capital gains taxes, preserve equity, ensure compliance, and save tax dollars. 
Image by Ronnie George

Understanding 1031 Exchanges

Under Section 1031 of the IRS tax code, if you are a business owner who owns property, you can sell it and reinvest the proceeds into a replacement property, deferring capital gains taxes and avoiding depreciation recapture. You can even defer taxes indefinitely through successive delayed exchanges.

Eligibility Requirements for a 1031 Exchange

Unlike with a typical real estate sale, you can defer capital gains tax payments when you sell an investment property and acquire one of “like kind” – so long as the property is also used for your business or investment purposes, the exchange is completed within a 180 day timeline, and it meets IRS regulations. We guide you through the process of complex transactions to avoid paying thousands of dollars to the IRS.

Image by Tom Rumble

How to Start Your 1031 Exchange

It’s important to get started right away. You can even acquire the new property before you sell, but the transaction must be completed within 180 days or you have to pay capital gains taxes. We make this often-complex process simple:


When contemplating your sale, contact 1031 Pros to help set your exchange up for success


When you enter into a contract to sell, we’ll get the exchange started


On the date of sale, a 45 day identification period to select your new property begins, as does the 180 day timeline


Once you open escrow on the new property, 1031 Pros will help you finalize the exchange


1031 Pros will provide you with all necessary tax documents so you can enjoy a fully deferred tax exchange.

Image by Michael Tuszynski

Role of a Qualified Intermediary in 1031 Exchanges

A qualified intermediary like 1031 Pros is generally required to complete the transaction – whether it is a simultaneous, deferred, reverse or improvement exchange. With us, you’ll get:

  • Service in all 50 states from experienced 1031 exchange experts.

  • All of the appropriate documents for the escrow or title company, to be signed at the closing of your relinquished property.

  • A unique, FDIC-insured individual account used for each transaction.

  • Coordination with your title company and transfer of funds on the close of your replacement property.

  • Release of exchange funds to a legitimate real estate closing, with the exchanger’s signed release.


Contact us for a free consultation before closing on your relinquished property, to ensure that you do the right type of exchange for your situation.

Customer Service Like No Other

When you call 1031 Pros, you will get a live person on the line at any time, day or night. We respond to all emailed questions in less than 24 hours. Customer service is the number one reason that investors choose to work with 1031 Pros. 

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 9.14.35 AM.png

What Does and Does Not Qualify for a 1031 Exchange?

Any type of real property – residential, commercial or industrial – so long as it is held for use in a trade or business or as an investment. Even raw land can be exchanged for improved land with buildings.

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 9.31.28 AM.png

Choosing the Right Replacement Property for a Like-Kind Exchange

We’ll help you ensure that properties are a like-kind exchange, prioritize locations with strong rental demand, and evaluate the property’s potential for appreciation. Our process gives you the flexibility to evolve your investment strategy and portfolio.

After your 1031 Exchange

With 1031 Pros, you can expect continuous support and consultation to navigate complex transactions smoothly. We’ll also help you with long-term investment strategies – including access to a network of property managers, real estate companies, and financial experts to maximize your investment opportunities and tools to help you understand every aspect of your 1031 exchange. 

Image by Ian MacDonald

Contact Us Today

Whether you're ready to sell today or in the future, we are happy to answer any questions you may have about your real estate portfolio.


Reach out to learn how we can help save you money and grow your portfolio.

Get Started
  • What type of property qualifies for a 1031 exchange?
    Any property held for productive use in a trade or business or for investment can be exchange for like-kind property. "Like-kind" refers to the nature of the investment. Any type of real property can be exchanged for another type of real property. For example: A single family rental can be exchanged for a duplex. Raw land can be exchanged for a shopping center or an office space for apartments. Any combination will work. This gives the investor flexibility to change investment strategies to fulfill their portfolio needs.
  • What Does Not Qualify?
    A personal residence, developed lots, home flipping, partnership interests or property held for resale immediately after acquisition. Second homes may or may not qualify depending upon the use and how it's reported for income tax purposes.
  • What kind of exchanges does 1031 pros handle?
    We handle all types of exchanges: Delayed Exchanges, Reverse Exchanges and Build to Suit Exchanges. From the simple to the complex, we can handle any type of exchange.
  • Does 1031 Pros handle exchanges in any state?
    Yes. We can handle exchanges for any property in any of the 50 states.
  • How much notice do I need to do a 1031 Exchange?
    You can do a 1031 exchange any time before closing on the sale of your investment property. Like we said before, we're fast.
  • How long do I need to own my investment property before I can exchange it for another?
    There is no set timeline, but to avoid any issues you should at least own it for a minimum of 12 months.
  • What happens if I don't close on my replacement property within 180 days?
    Then you just pay the capital gain taxes like your would have if you were to sell the property in the first place.
  • Can I sell one property and exchange into multiple properties?
    Yes, in most cases you can exchange into three other properties.
  • Why should I use a qualified 1031 intermediary to do my exchange?
    We will prepare all the correct paperwork you will need to file your taxes with. We will also ensure you meet your timelines and any other specifics of the 1031 tax code.
  • What if my Title company is a qualified 1031 intermediary?
    1031 Pros specializes in exchanges and has the expertise, experience and history to ensure an audit free exchange.
  • What is a reverse exchange?
    A reverse exchange is when you close on the purchase of the replacement property before you close on the sale of the relinquished property. Many real estate investors will utilize a reverse exchange to acquire a replacement property in a market where there may be competing offers or there is a need to close fast. Because of our vast experience handling these types of exchanges, we offer very competitive rates and are willing to match any competitor pricing.
  • What is an improvement exchange?
    Also referred to as a construction exchange or build-to-suit exchange, improvement exchanges offer real estate investors nice benefits, which often result in better investment opportunities than properties readily available on the market. The ability to remodel, add capital improvements, or build from the ground up, while using tax-deferred dollars, allows an investor to reinvest in a replacement property that meets their exact investment criteria.
  • What is the Federation of Exchange Accommodators?
    The Federation of Exchange Accommodators (FEA) is the only national trade association organized to represent professionals who conduct like-kind exchanges under Internal Revenue Code §1031. Members include Qualified Intermediaries (QIs), their primary tax and legal counsel, and affiliated industries (TIC sponsors, banks, real estate brokers, title companies, settlement/escrow agents, etc.). 1031 Pros is a proud member of the FEA.
  • Can I 1031 exchange into a Tenancy in Common or Triple Net Lease Property?
    Yes, you can exchange into a Tenant In Common (TIC) or Triple Net Lease real estate investments. The biggest rule of thumb is that your name is on the title as an owner with a percentage of ownership. These types of real estate investments offer a great passive income for those who are done with being a landlord and are ready to sit back and collect a monthly check. We do not offer these types of investments at 1031 Pros, but we have some great partners who do. Call us today to learn more.
  • Does my personal residence qualify for a 1031 exchange?
    No, it does not. Personal residences qualify for different tax benefits under IRS Code Section 121. Section 121 allows a taxpayer to exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 for certain taxpayers who file a joint return) of the gain from the sale (or exchange) of property owned and used as a principal residence for at least two of the five years before the sale. 1031 Pros does not offer any services or tax advice for personal residences. Please contact our trusted Accounting partners under the "More Tab" for more information on Section 121. Tell them 1031 Pros sent you!
  • Are my funds insured?
    Each of our exchanges uses a unique, individual, FDIC insured account. 1031 Pros also has additional bonding and insurance, so your funds are always safe and secure.

Have More Questions? Send Us a Message.

bottom of page